Immigration Lawyer, Woburn

H-4 Visas

The spouse and children of H-1B professional workers may be granted H-4 dependent status. An H-4 dependent may apply for work authorization if their H-1B spouse has had their status extended under 106(a) or (b) of AC21 or already has an approved I-140 petition.

  • Initial Stay: Up to three (3) years.

  • Extensions: Up to three (3) years.

  • Maximum Stay: 6 years*. 

  • Petition Process: Applicants either electronically file Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, through the U.S. Department of State Consular Electronic Application Center, or submit Form I-539, Application to Change/Extend Nonimmigrant Status, to apply for a change of status or an extension of stay. Further, some applicants are required to attend a visa interview abroad.

  • Premium Processing: Not available.

  • Cost: Varies depending on filing method. Costs may include:

    • $190 (DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application); or

    • $370 (I-539 Filing Fee);

    • $85 (Biometric Services Fee).

  • Timeline: Varies. Visit the USCIS Processing Times website to the most up-to-date information.

* Time spent in H-4 or L-2 status does not count toward the six (6) year maximum for H-1B or 5/7 years for L-1s. 

Call Today to Schedule a Free Consultation with an H-4 Attorney in Woburn, Massachusetts

If you have questions about H-4 visas and/or work authorization based on AC21 or the H-1B spouse's I-140 approval, contact an H-4 Lawyer in Woburn, MA. Lally Immigration Services, LLC is located in Woburn, Massachusetts and offers free initial phone consultations.